Author Topic: [Daedric Ruin Claim] Zalonbael - Darkelfguy  (Read 4504 times)

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
[Daedric Ruin Claim] Zalonbael - Darkelfguy
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
Dungeon Name: Zalonbael
Dungeon Summary: This is a sunken Daedric ruin off the coast of ModTown's island that's mostly submerged, with a number of branching tunnels that dead end in a watery grave. Despite being mostly underwater though, this ruin is inhabited by a group of cultists who use water-breathing potions to get in and out of the ruin and enjoy the seclusion an underwater environment provides from the long arm of the law. I intend to make this claim somewhat realistic, and that means these cultists actually have places to sleep, supplies, dining areas, and food preparation areas, just as you might expect if someone were actually living in a place. There's also going to be a small quest, as it turns out these cultists have taken to kidnapping NPC residents of ModTown with the intent of sacrificing them to Molag Bal. This quest will be hinted at through the Latest Rumors topic in ModTown, and otherwise won't touch anything outside of the dungeon. The player can choose to save the kidnapped residents when they clear the place, if they so desire.

Taking a page from HangHimHigher's book, I also intend to have the cultists issue a verbal warning to the player before attacking outright.

Dungeon Architecture: A mix of Mudcave and Daedric Ruin tilesets
Modder Resources in-use (yes/no): No
Number of Planned Interiors: 4
Includes Quests (yes/no): Yes
Includes NPCs/Creatures (yes/no): Yes
Progress: 38% Complete
Number of Finished Interiors: One (object count: 1131)

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:53:46 PM by Darkelfguy »
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
Re: [Daedric Ruin Claim] Zalonbael - Darkelfguy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 04:34:59 AM »
This looks great!  It's also given me a quest idea regarding the ruins/cultists which I shall send you shortly!

Edit: also, I'm flattered that you're "taking something from my book"... but I also took that something from Bethesda's book -- the Orc guarding the lower Gnisis Eggmines!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:37:38 AM by HangHimHigher »

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
I sent this to you as a PM on the official forums, but I thought I'd copy+paste the idea up here too so that other people can aye/nay it if they so desire.

"It's your interior, so feel free to veto this if you like, but I was thinking that if you were ok with it, I could design quests and dialogues for the cultists.

My basic concept is that the cult is a band of 4 or so brothers and sisters who aren't raving cultists, but rather are at the shrine to appeal to Molag Bal for some typically "good" cause -- perhaps reversing the curse of vampirism on one of their brethren.  Molag Bal told them that they have to do something awful (sacrifice some townsfolk) to get what they want, and now they're trying to decide whether or not to do it.  Because they're all different people, they have different views about it: some approve, some are horrified, some don't know what to do, and perhaps one of them has been corrupted by Molag Bal and plans to sacrifice the cultists in return for power for him/herself, betraying the family.

Enter the player, who can choose to just kill all the cultists and rescue the townsfolk, or get involved in their psychodrama and help decide what ends up happening.  It'll be morally ambiguous and open-ended, with the player's actions deciding the fate of the family.  All the characters involved will have their own dialogue, views about each other, etc.

The idea is to turn a simple rescue/kill quest into a more atmospheric, thought-provoking quest or series of quests.  It could work well with rumours in town as well -- people being hush and terrified of the idea that their formerly idyllic island could have a darker side.  If you do give the go-ahead, I would also keep this quest series separate from the goings-on of the faction, like a little side-adventure (though for interactivity, it would be nice if players who have established a garrison for ModTown had the option to lead some soldiers down there to fight, if that's the way they decided to handle things).

So that's the idea I had.  Don't worry -- if it's not in keeping with your original ideas, I'll just keep the concept for a later quest mod or something!"

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »
I've finally finished the layout for the second interior, in total it uses slightly over 400 tilepieces in the layout so it's a bit on the large side. I may have to subdivide the interior a few times to make it run on lower-end computers.

Overall, this interior has something of a pyramid like shape to it, and the idea is that the cultists will have various food preparation, sleeping, and worship areas on the upper floors, while the lowest floor will be mostly submerged in water. I was thinking of adding a pile of corpses on the last floor as well, sort of the remains of sacrificial victims. Anyway, I'm going to get started on detailing tomorrow, and eventually figure out the layout of the third dungeon interior.

Anyway, I like your idea HangHimHigher, but it's a bit too small for the scale of this dungeon. This place could easily house 20 or more cultists, it would just feel incredibly empty with only 4. I do have a counter-story in mind, but I'll post that later when I have more details figured out.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
Looking great!  And yeah, I totally get what you're saying about the size not fitting the story I'd made earlier -- I didn't appreciate how large the ruins were.  Looking forward to seeing what it ends up becoming!  (I've always been partial to secret underwater areas, for some reason...)