Author Topic: Future of ModTown 2015/2016 (Aka Plan of Action)  (Read 8468 times)

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
Future of ModTown 2015/2016 (Aka Plan of Action)
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:17:14 AM »
With the administrators not giving us direction, I believe we need to open our own vent for a coherent plan of action, starting with the question "What do we do now?" Obviously, the first answer is to work on claims (and that's a good answer) but we need a bit more than that to keep going. So I feel it's time to open up a discussion where we can all put in our thoughts and come up with a good answer to the question we are facing, as this question might be just as important as the claims we are all working on.

• First, we need PR again. We are lacking modders and this is showing as more people are leaving (no offense to anyone who plans to, of course). If we have publicity we will get noticed. We are by no means Tamriel Rebuilt, but we can come up with effective showcases.
  • Second we need to cut down ambition of the project, even though it seemed we were going to have a plot claim shortage this is clearly not the case. I think removing them would be too long though, so we can redistribute or convert them into other buildings and local dungeons unless we take the long route and remove them.
  • Third, this will work in conjugation with the first we need motivation. I admit, the first thing I want to do when I get back from a long day is sit and do my own things, and I don't have the power to force motivation, so along with the others we need to describe this more in depth.

With those three said, I feel now it's time we suggest and create more ideas.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
Re: Future of ModTown 2015/2016 (Aka Plan of Action)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:11:04 AM »
Hmm, I am finding myself uninspired right now when it comes to this, but I will chew on it to see if I come up with anything. One idea I have had for a while though, is any unclaimed and unfinished claims Could be made into little scenic garden areas.

I'm afraid I won't much help with PR, I tend to fail at promoting my own stuff... I keep my mind open for ideas.
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 03:31:19 AM »
I've definitely forgotten about the garden idea and that is a viable alternative.

MattTheBagel

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
I was thinking that if Darkelfguy made another modathon progress video, we could snag in a few more of those willing to help in the project. That's what I think we need. More people. As most of you know, theres only a select few of us actively working on modtown, and we are not going to finish this whole thing alone. I am still very happy with ModTown, and believe we can make the right comeback. Right now I will be working on my CC Dining Hall claim, and once that's finished I may take up some more claims, but again, we need more people. About the PR, Darkelfguy is the perfrect candidate, but he's not been on the forums.
"I could kill that guar. Those boots are ruined."

My Instagram; https://www.instagram.com/elder_scrolls_page/

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
About the PR, Darkelfguy is the perfrect candidate, but he's not been on the forums.
Welcome back, and that's the problem, we need to figure out how to work around DarkElfGuy not coming on, since slowing down is the reverse of what we want. I checked DarkElfGuy's YouTube channel recently and I have not found any ModTown things for months which is another concern to me, hence the PR question.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
Would it be possible for someone else to make a trailer for us? I have no skills or know how in making vidoes, but could someone do one?

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
I do have a desktop camera recorder/editor, but it does not work well in-game, though I know of a few other recording materials.

MattTheBagel

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
What about Publick Occurances? He's made a plot here on ModTown and has an Elderscrolls YouTube channel where he makes Machinima-type shorts with Oblivion and other TES games. I'm sure he's a viable option.
His account on this website is Publick Gamer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:45:50 PM by MattTheBagel »

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
Yeah, we should try that actually.

MattTheBagel

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:01 PM »
Well, we need to contact DEG to get back on these forums. Someone should leave a comment on his new YouTube video asking him to return, I know he reads the comments.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »
While I'm not intending to poo-poo that idea, I must point out that he's been here, and he's read the discussion about the way things have been going, he just remains silent about it for the time being. I know he's busy with Modathon videos, but that's no excuse for not saying anything. And besides that, if he's going to put so much of his time into his channel, which I do think he should, that clearly means that he doesn't have time for this project, and should hand the reigns over to someone else, probably Turelek. And if he has a problem with that, he really should have thought about that before taking on this project while trying to broaden his channel, just like I should have thought about it longer before joining. It's nothing personal, I have no problem with DEG, but this silence needs to end, and so does the stagnation. This isn't a province mod, this is Mod Town 2015, there's literally a year attached to its name, the whole idea is to have it come out at a certain time, be a snapshot of the community as it was/is that year it was started and ended. Need I remind everyone that the original plan was to get this done by late December of last year. I know I was the one who suggested extending the deadline, but I was thinking February. Not May. And I did not suggest or approve of the plot expansion. I had a feeling that was going to be a mistake, and it was. I wanted us to have a little bit more time to do the same amount of work, not a lot more time to do a lot more work.

This is to say nothing of the people who've contributed very little. There's 70+ members, and yet there's still some public buildings which have been on the map since the beginning that no one has ever worked on. There's people here who have no posts. There's people who have claimed stuff and posted no progress, ever. I may not have finished everything I started, but at least I actually tried to take on too much. There's a reason my claiming of the Consortium HQ was literally "Fuck it, I'll do it myself". I was quite annoyed that a high priority building had no one working on it. So I grabbed it, along with the Mages Guild, Assembler's Lab, Dwemer Airship, Autotower, Telvanni Airship, and Smuggler's Den (though that was much later).

But you know what? We could have done something about all that a long time ago if our leader had had more time for us, and was more willing to listen when it became clear that changes needed to be made. And that's one of several reasons why I wish I had thought about it longer before joining. I should have seen this coming. I should have seen that DEG was simply not going to be able to contribute to the community with MMS, and run Mod Town 2015 with the same level of attention. He needed to be our hype guy, not the guy in charge.

This will be my final post here, as I need to finally put this behind me, for good. I don't regret giving this project a shot, I learned quite a bit, and I will always value that experience. I also appreciate what DEG tried to do, he wants to make MW modding more exciting, and he has done so. But the man with the idea is not necessarily the man who should run things. I should know, I'm like that. I don't belong in a position where I'm telling any one of you what to do. I may be more available, and have a keener eye for potential problems, but I'm also mean and change my mind too many times for people to keep up with.

Best of luck to you all, I have a feeling you're going to need it. Anybody needs me, I'll be on the official forums, moving on with my modding life. Peace.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:18:38 PM by Autoclock »
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »
Thank you for the words Autoclock, he has been here indeed now that I check, though his silence is disturbing. As for the plot expansions ... well everyone knows my thought on those, I was initially for them but now that is an issue, and no longer a looming one, also as pointed out we're not Skyrim: Home of the Nords/Tamriel Rebuilt/etc, though we have definitely done something the original ModTowns have not (subtly, this will be expanded on).

Now, for the modders who were/are inactive, I wish we had more emails, then we could ask if they want to join us or are truly done. I know some, like PrincessStomper can be reached on their websites. I have tried to reach Melchior Dahrk time and time again only for him to not respond, I assume he is busy with all his mod projects. I feel we may need to open up some topics to revive interest on Nexus, the Bethesda Forums, Fliggerty, and other websites. Though we should also try to contact Publick Gamer and/or DarkElfGuy one last time and see if we can get a video together, if not we could assemble some of our best pictures and use this, or even make a slideshow out of them.

Now for that thing that the other original ModTowns have not done, so far we have seen it as a bit of a bad thing, but we're in 2016 now. Autoclock points out that we were originally slated for release in December of 2015 and to be a snapshot of 2015, but now we can say we are a snapshot of 2015-2016, a title that should not be looked down upon or ashamed of, we should not lose hope. We may be overdue for our original release of December, but now we can add another four digits to our title. There is no ModTown 2004-2005, ModTown 2006-2007, and so forth.

Point is, the rest of us that are still here (save for Autoclock, may he find better luck in his other ventures), we should take some pride in what we are doing. I've probably said this before, but let's not lose hope, and let's gain some new modders to ModTown 2015, though we still need to address these issues.

MattTheBagel

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »
Goodbye Autoclock, goodluck to you, too. However, I do have good news. I watched DEG's new modathon video today (Denaes lucky coins), and at the end he mentioned upcoming videos. In that short list he mentioned a Modathon progress update! Looks like DEG will be coming back for an update. Sad thing is Melchior hasn't merged my plot yet, and I really would like to see it in the video.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
Sad to see you go Autoclock, good luck!

---

A progress video would be fantastic. As for your claim I don't think that it needs to be merged to be showcassed, I had provided previews for my claims for the previous showcases, and they weren't merged at all.

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
That is indeed some good news, hopefully this might result in a new plan as well.