Author Topic: Terrain editing  (Read 558 times)

Wolfsong73

• Outlander
    • View Profile
Terrain editing
« on: July 08, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
Hi all,

New member and first-time poster here. I've recently decided to dive into TES editing/modding, and chose Morrowind as my game as it remains my favorite setting/game in the setting.

I'm still new with the editor, but am  running into an issue that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on, specifically with terrain editing.

Specifically, when I'm in the editing window, rotating and moving the camera to change my view, etc,  the window will keep flashing white and it looks like the "focus" part of the map shifts over by large amounts, sometimes cutting off a large amount of my terrain work. I also find that parts of the terrain I've already edited will become un-editable until I've finegled the camera back to the right position.

I've worked with other terrain editing tools, for other engines, etc, and TES's editor is quite unlike any of them. Usually, you have a heightmap, select the editing tool, and go to town. TES's seems rather quirky and difficult to work with by comparsion. I'm sure I'm going through "growing pains" with the tool, and there's just some trick or something that I'm not aware of. I've looked at tutorials and such, but none of them seem to have an issue like what I describe above, and I've not seen any warnings or tips on how to avoid, or deal with it.

Note, I'm not having trouble with editing or adjusting the terrain itself. I'm specifically having trouble keeping the view under control, keeping it from "flickering" and jumping the map around, making parts of the terrain uneditable, etc.

So, if someone could point me in the right direction, or perhaps provide some feedback as to why the editing window is acting so funky, and how I can keep it under control, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:33:12 PM by Wolfsong73 »

Wolfsong73

• Outlander
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain editing
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
Hello again.

Thought it might be helpful to post a video showing the issue I'm talking about. The video's attached to this post.

Keep in mind that I'm moving the mouse to rotate the camera pretty slowly, so when you see the terrain "jerking" around, or rotating suddenly, that's nothing I'm doing. At around 30 seconds in, you'll notice the terrain brush moving around. I'm attempting to paint, but it's not letting me. And then you'll see a couple times the camera jumps to below the terrain, again, that's nothing I'm doing. I'm just trying to rotate the camera around to get a better/different view of the terrain to edit it.

I don't know why this is happening, but it's making it impossible for me to work with the CS to create anything. This bums me out, because I'd really love to be able to begin creating and learning.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Lefok

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 04:34:14 AM »
Hmmm, It appears that the video you've submitted has nothing on it, no statics, textures, land formations, anything. I think I know the issue: You have nothing that you can grab and control the camera from. If you drop something there and select it, it usually fixed the issue of not being able to edit the land, at least speaking from my own personal experience.

Wolfsong73

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:13:19 PM »
That's interesting, if that's the case.

I'm doing it that way based on video tutorials I've seen where they're working exactly as I am, on an empty chunk of terrain with nothing there but the land and the water.

I could *try* that, and maybe it'll help, but I feel like it'd be a band-aid on a bigger issue. If there's a solution anyone else is aware of, and they could share it, I'd be willing to give that a go as well.

Thanks!