Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1888 times)

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
Greetings!
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
ModTown 2015 caught my eye in September/October and I'm really excited to see what you guys have come up with.

I've only now come aboard due to the fact that I have plenty of time on my hands and I have nothing to lose by lending a hand.  I have some basic knowledge of the CS, as I've been working on a re-balance modification of BTB's Game Improvements off and on for a couple of years now.  I'm not very good or experienced at interior/exterior design, nor have I wrote even a single script, but I'm willing to learn to do either if necessary.  I consider myself an OK writer so I wouldn't mind writing or designing NPC's and the like.  I don't have any ideas in particular at the moment, so let me know where help is needed and I will try my best.  I am willing to work in areas outside of writing, just let me know.

Thanks for having me on the team.

Cheers

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »
I don't think we have enough, if any, random NPCs who wander about the town, so it may be a good idea to start with that. Observe the modder plots and find stuff for the NPCs to comment on. For example, LadyPhoenixFireRose's plot is bound to give some townsfolk pause, if not reason to outright complain about it effects the climate, or something. Conversely, the Mages Guild provides excellent lighting at night, and has great services besides, and Darkelfguy's dense villa looks like a pleasant place to have meals and throw birthday parties.
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »
OK, thanks for the insight, I'll start brainstorming ideas!

Sorry for the noob question, but by observing do you mean through the CS? If so where can I get my hands on the file?

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 06:03:25 PM »
Melchior Dahrk would be the one to talk to about getting the latest master file, but since not everything is in it, I recommend looking at the gallery here, as well as watching Darkelfguy's monthly progress videos. That should suffice, for now. Feel free to ask modders about their plots, as well, for further info.

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
Oh OK, thanks again.  One last thing: do I need permission from a modder if I wanted to create an NPC on their plot? Also, would the location of said NPC be up to them since it is their plot?  I'm just a bit confused on who has what permissions.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:10:16 PM »
The kind of NPCs I'm talking about have free roam of the streets, meaning, you place them somewhere in town that's NOT directly on top of a plot, and set their Wander to around 2000 or more. If you do that, there shouldn't be any issues.

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
Gotcha.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I've already started work on an NPC who will act as the Fargoth of ModTown, he'll be placed close to where the player will first enter ModTown and will provide some background on the town.  The player can also learn he works for the Community Consortium, and if the player is looking for work, he directs them to the guild.  Maybe if I get into scripting I might have him give the player a package to deliver to the guild if the player is interested in work.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited to get to work soon.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Hello and welcome, VoinaKoshmar! I'm excited to have you on board!

To start, you can download the latest landmass here. Though I agree with Autoclock that it'd be good to watch Darkelfguy's two latest showcase videos to get a better idea of everything that's going into the mod so far (OCT - NOV).

Another helpful link are these writing prompts that I put together to help in something just like this. I'd like to have people commenting on the "current events" surrounding the main quest as well but I am not as in tune as Darkelfguy on what exactly would be appropriate to say there. Maybe he can chime in. Otherwise I have some generic topics to use prompt you through that link. But the NPC personality is all yours. You can make them as crazy or vanilla as you like. Anonymity towards the modders is fine. Worshipfulness or indifference are okay as well.

Continuing on, I'd say we can proceed however you feel most comfortable or are most interested in doing so. One option is for you simply write some dialogue for a specific NPC that you design and post it in this sub-forum. Simply name the topic something like "[NPC] VoinaKoshmar's NPCs". I could then implement the NPCs in game for you. A second option, if you are interested in dabbling in the CS is simply to load up the latest Master file (ESM) and start adding NPCs.

As far as where they can go: modder plots is possible, but we'd have to do it on a case-by-case basis if the modder is interested in having additional NPCs in their plot. I expect most to be in public or non-modder buildings or wandering the streets. For starters, some of the buildings which are currently in the file need to be NPCed: Barracks, Common House 01 Interior, Common House 03, Common Smithy Shop, Crantius Colto's House, Halgir's House, Merchant Hall, The Esteemed Alit Inn, The Knight's Tower Inn (incomplete). And the bathhouse has NPCs but no custom dialogue as far as I am aware. Just a note, I thought that "Highstreet Residence No. 1" could potentially be rented by the player, so I wouldn't bother NPCing that one.

I don't think anyone is expecting LGNPC level of dialogue depth and character development here... any level of custom dialogue for the majority of NPCs would be phenomenal and appreciated.

Just let us know if there's anything that can help make this process easier in any way!

-MD

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:28:44 PM »
Thanks a ton for the assistance, Melchior!  I look forward to working with you and the rest of the team.

I will keep these things in mind.  So I'm thinking it would be better to create these NPCs as barebones and generic, then add custom dialogue and character depth to them once we have a reasonable number of them.  I doubt I have LGNPC-level talent but I will certainly do my best! 

Also, is there a rough estimate of just how many of these NPC's there should be? ModTown seems fairly large.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
Hi, welcome to the project!

In my personal opinion, as to the Number of NPCs, the more the merrier, I like lively towns. Though, I suppose we must consider framerate.... In any case, I don't know of any estimate on how many we are going for. Though, my vote is for how ever many it takes for the town to feel lived in. On another note, I am working on making the Town Hall, but I'm not adding any NPCs to it myself, but some generic ones, such as kitchen staff (as am I adding a kitchen to it) and some other would be nice. Also, an interesting idea I had about was NPCs shoppers, just some other generic NPCs who show up in many of the shops around town, to make them feel a little more used.

I can  think of all kinds of fun things to do with NPCs around town...
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

VoinaKoshmar

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:40:58 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad to be here!

I agree.  A big town should have a big population.  They should be scattered about, but more should be clustered around shops and such for realism.  I'm assuming that ModTown is free from the politics of the Great Houses and Imperial influence, so the NPCs of ModTown should reflect that.  Outcasts of those societies may very well end up on the island, such as escaped slaves, smugglers, mercenaries looking for new opportunities, or simply families looking for a safe haven in an unsafe world.  With this in mind, the NPCs have great potential and I am excited to start writing for them. 

Anyways, I'll try to shoot for 10-20 NPCs at least, and want to make most of them with unique backgrounds and interesting things to say.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »
20+ would be preferable, I think. I like the idea of some of them being immigrants, it'll make it more interesting later in the MQ, when they comment on the bone monster attacks.

Turelek

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 03:38:07 AM »
A hearty welcome to the project! (And here I thought we reached our maximum, glad to see I was wrong). If you want any help regarding anything in the Consortium feel free to PM, though soon I'll be opening it up more to everyone here, since I think everyone's got some great ideas on what they would do with parts of it. This also means I would love to see an abundance of NPCs! Ideas of which you think are feasible would be great as well! I also have a tutorial on doing some basic dialogue kind of things around the Tutorials Section in case anything seems a bit complicated to do, though you might already know how to do dialogue.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »
Hey, welcome on board to the project! Glad to have you! :)

As the others have mentioned, we are in dire need of more NPCs, so anything you can write up in that regard is most welcome! I think everyone else has already covered all the basics, so I'll just say that if you do need help with anything, please feel free to ask! :)
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder