Author Topic: Writing Books and Documents?  (Read 1972 times)

ShylyMrWolf

• Community Assistant
  • Awoooo
    • View Profile
Writing Books and Documents?
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:18:21 AM »
I'm wanting to write documents and journals to spice up the backstory of my ModTown Plot. Can anyone give a quick tutorial on how to do that?

I appreciate you all's time  :)

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Books and Documents?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:57:30 PM »
I could go into details when I get home, but the easiest thing to do is to open an existing book, change the ID, and use it as a template. Morrowind uses some type of HTML code for the books. The key thing is to use <BR> for all the breaks.

If you look at spell scrolls, you can see how to center text and use Daedric font in your books.

Hope this helps.

ShylyMrWolf

• Community Assistant
  • Awoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:13:04 PM »
I could go into details when I get home, but the easiest thing to do is to open an existing book, change the ID, and use it as a template. Morrowind uses some type of HTML code for the books. The key thing is to use <BR> for all the breaks.

If you look at spell scrolls, you can see how to center text and use Daedric font in your books.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. That doesn't overwrite the original book, does it?

Moritius

• Community Secretary
  • I'm watching you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
Doesn't overwrite original book when you change id - CS will ask you if you want create new object. All you need to do is clicking yes ;).
"Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit"

ShylyMrWolf

• Community Assistant
  • Awoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 12:23:36 AM »
Doesn't overwrite original book when you change id - CS will ask you if you want create new object. All you need to do is clicking yes ;).

Thanks for the help  ;D

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
Now get writing! Let us know if you run into any issues.

Since you appear to be relatively new to the CS, just a little tip that is counter-intuitive:

If you open up an object's Properties Window (double-clicking on it in the Render Window) and only make changes to things like the position, scale, rotation, ownership, contained soul (extra data), door marker, or locked level. DO NOT CLICK OK. Click Cancel. Hitting okay will save a change to that particular ID which will create a dirty reference in your mod.

Only hit OK if you want your mod to REPLACE ALL REFERENCES OF THAT OBJECT. Such as if you want to change the durability on armor/weapons or change the name of an object or attach a script.

Like I said, this is a bit counter-intuitive, but, think of the "Cancel" button as a "Modify Selection" button and the OK button as a "Modify All" button.