Author Topic: Scaling in NifScope  (Read 2414 times)

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
Scaling in NifScope
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »
Okay, so I have been messing around with scaling things in nifscope. For example, I wanted some smaller pots in my Alchemist's shop than the ones available, but the box you see around it in the CS (I'm guessing it is the Bounding Box, but as I have little knowledge in such matters I don't know for sure) does not scale down with it. Is there any way to scale it down? As it is rather annoying, especially as I'd kind of like to make some miniatures of some really large meshes. I can ignore it for the planters, as I didn't scale them down to far, but anything much larger, scaled down smaller it gets really annoying with. I have tried it yet, but I'm assuming if I wanted to make the meshes larger I'd have the reverse issues, witch I'm thing would be much more problematic.

So suggestions?
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling in NifScope
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
My way of handling this is to delete the RootCollisionNode, grab a Bounding Box (ex. from a creature), apply it to the mesh I've scaled up/down, set the Bounding Box up to just barely exceed the dimensions of my object, and then set the flags on the parent node to "Bounding Box" (with Skin Instance turned off). This trick has yet to fail me, and I do a LOT of resizing.
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
Thanks so much! It works perfectly! :D
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
Good to hear.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
That's an interesting solution, Autoclock. I hadn't ever brought in a bounding box for that purpose before. Sounds like it'd be tricky for meshes which you want to make actual collision meshes for though.

The cleanest way to fix bounding box and flickering model errors can be done either in Nifskope or Blender. This should be done especially if you are scaling vertices in Nifskope.

Blender solution:
Import mesh
Select all by type (solid/mesh/model or whatever it's called)
CTRL-A -> Apply
Export

Nifskope Solution:
Right click on NiNode -> Transform -> Apply
-Repeat for all NiNodes
Right click on NiTriShapeData -> Mesh -> Update Center/Radius
-Repeat for all NiTriShapeData
Save

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
I've yet to have any collision issues with my bounding box method. As long as the only form of collision an object has is a bounding box, which I can see in NifSkope, I can count on it looking the way it's supposed to in the CS, and behaving the way it's supposed to in-game. I figured this out after I turned "Render Havok" on, and noticed that all creatures (and a few of the spell meshes) have these red-lined boxes around them, that I could easily adjust and apply to anything I wanted. When Mod Town is finished, players who take a gander at the resources I made will notice that nearly all my custom objects have bounding boxes. It really works, even when the player is inside something instead of outside it.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Right, but my point is for things more like your autotower... which you wouldn't want to use a big block for the collision. Do you have the flags set to triangles?

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:32:22 PM »
No, the flags for the parent node are set to Bounding Box. And it doesn't apply an invisible box for collision, either. It just applies collision, same as a root collision node. The difference is that the bounding box can be seen and precisely adjusted in NifSkope.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »
Most likely that is because the NiTriShapes are still flagged to calculate collision via the mesh triangles. Which is fine, if it's a relatively simple model and that's what the collision mesh would look like anyway.

Even so, I wonder if your method could brute force the collision box to appear correctly whether the NiCollisionNode is deleted or not... doesn't seem like it would need to be. Regardless, I imagine it could still have issues with "flickering NiTriShapes" like I mentioned above if you are using scaled vertices, especially on a smaller piece. This is where certain parts of the mesh will disappear when you view it from different angles.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
The only time I've ever seen the flickering effect happen is when I've used certain TriShapes that used to have a Skin Instance attached to them. Notice I said "certain" ones, because, for some reason, some of them don't flicker. I can't remember which ones don't, though.