Author Topic: [Modder Claim] Plot 28 - wretched fetcher - A smithy  (Read 4238 times)

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
[Modder Claim] Plot 28 - wretched fetcher - A smithy
« on: August 27, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »
Hello!
Claiming plot 28 while I still have the opportunity =). I understand that another guy wanted it, but it was not allowed (http://darkelfmodding.com/forum/index.php/topic,174.0.html), because he already had one.

Here's my idea for the plot.

Given the proximity of a fort, I thought it would be a good idea to create a forge here where a family of hereditary smiths lives. That would be a crippled old father and his unmarried son. This family has mastered their craft to perfection, and some of their ancestors were rumored to be great adventurers, scouring the land for knowledge that could benefit their trade. It is believed even that some were mage-smiths. Whether these rumors are true or not is a matter of debate, but the family certainly amassed a respectable library filled with books of shady origin. Not that they really like to show it to the neighbours.

This is just a preliminary sketch, but I like the idea and don't think I will change the concept. It will be a good incentive for me to study some lore on smithing and learn how Tamrielic people craft things out of ebony and glass.

The tileset will probably be common and rich imperial housing. I think I will use all community-produced smithing resources that I will be able to find.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:20:11 PM by wretched fetcher »

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
Re: [Modder Claim] Plot 28 - wretched fetcher
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
Ok, I made a draft of the smithy's exterior. Initially I wanted to make a scrapyard because of the neighbouring awesome Autotower (plot 26), but when I loaded a map for the first time I realised that there is not enough space for that, so I will restrict myself to a couple of broken centurions and some weird stuff tossed from the tower by its owners.

Screens are in the attachment.

I would estimate my progress on exterior as 60-70% complete, in case DElf approves what has been done. I will add several community-made smithing resources, and also I will have to replace some things, as popular replacers change the look of the smithy too much, and in this case unfortunately not in a good way.

arrianas

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
I like how it's all one giant compound.

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:22:47 AM »
I like how it's all one giant compound.

The idea is that every generation of the family expanded the smithy a little. The family was large once, but now diminished to just two living members, with one of them being old crippled grandfather who is not really sane anymore. Hence the dilapidated look.

Here is one more screenshot which shows the opposite side of the yard (it didn't fit in the first post).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:52:06 AM by wretched fetcher »

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »
Looks really good so far, wretched! Love the design of the exterior, and great to have you on board for ModTown 2015! :)
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Thank you very much!

Flash3113

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »
Nice. I really like that. One thing that would make this completely spot-on for me would be a functioning forge or a few quests related to armor forging. Maybe some type of shady/forbidden armor to go with your backstory.

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
Nice. I really like that. One thing that would make this completely spot-on for me would be a functioning forge or a few quests related to armor forging. Maybe some type of shady/forbidden armor to go with your backstory.

Yeah, I 100% agree. I'm going to dig into medieval/renaissance smelting techniques, and into whatever Tamrielic lore available on this topic. Then I will crate a real forge. There will be several quests, some of them concerning a trade of a blacksmith, at least one for certain will relate to the neighbouring Autotower (a large Dwemeri centurion, thrown away from it, is blocking the yard. It is not entirely defunct though and can harm anybody who touch it). Yet another will require player to make a drug to cure smith's granddad. I'll invent some more, there's plenty of time yet!

One of the NPCs, a smith by a name of Nikolai (my real name) will be just like any usual Morrowind character, 100% lore-friendly. But another, supposedly insane old grandpa will occasionaly break the 4th wall, mentioning real-life things.

Drakkmore

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
Re: [Modder Claim] Plot 28 - wretched fetcher - A smithy
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
Tamrielic smelting????
Feed ore to a Flame Atronach, wait three days, follow Atronach around with a shovel.
Ore -> Smelted :P

At any rate this is going to be fun to visit too, One wonders what kind of things Autoclock would throw away.
So. You're going to Red Mountain to kill Dagoth Ur? Vivec couldn't do it, so he's elected you.
Doesn't that worry you?

My THoS Gallery http://www.tesvskyrim.com/skyrim-gallery-3524

My C&E information for Drakkmore: http://www.fliggerty.com/phpBB3/cne/cne_viewchar.php?id=1126

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 05:14:35 AM »
Tamrielic smelting????
Feed ore to a Flame Atronach, wait three days, follow Atronach around with a shovel.
Ore -> Smelted :P

This is interesting. I think I will make a cellar with atronach in it, used for special smithing tasks. Splendid and fun idea - reminds me of Modoc in Fallout 2, where you suddenly stumble upon a deathclaw who lays eggs used for that town's famous omlettes. A player will surely be startled!

At any rate this is going to be fun to visit too, One wonders what kind of things Autoclock would throw away.

Thanks! I will follow his progress and see what will be the most plausible variant. Right now it is just Dwemeri machinery.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:18:28 AM by wretched fetcher »

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
Quests and introductory information

I will update this post in case of any changes to quests.

Cast

A smith and proprietor of the forge, by name Nikolai

His grandfather, Osmund the Old

His apprentices, Stephan and Erik

Guard Miko

A secret NPC

Preamble

The Old Knoll Forge, which is several centuries old and one of the first buildings in Modtown, has seen better times. Its owners, the ancient house of nords, which traces its lineage to such legendary figures as Reorich the Bane of Daedra and Yaropolk the Mage-Smith, has diminished to just two living members: Old Osmund, widely reputed to be insane, and Nikolai, a rather melancholic and absent-minded person, who is not married and will unlikely produce any offspring. The forge would be forgotten by all, if not for the quality weaponry and metalwork produced here - all thanks to the smith's skill and the giant lavaforge which makes possible to temper steel like nowhere else. The source of lava for the forge is just one of several secrets of the place, which the family vigilantly guards. For instance, there are whispers in the town about a library filled with tomes of profane knowledge located here, as well as several items of mystical power, infused with human souls, buried deep below the forge (there were at least two major fires in its history, after which it was completely rebuilt, right above the burnt foundations of previous buildings). The rumors could well turn true, for the family has known to meddle in affairs of Daedra before.

One special piece of gossip the locals like to amuse themselves on the evenings concerns the family's financial affairs. The forge never knew shortage of rich customers, who were eager to pay any amount of money to get hold of its produce, and yet the smith and two his apprentices live in glaring poverty, and the building, very much dilapidated, gradually turns into a ruin.

Quests

1. Noisy neighbours.

Nikolai the smith complains of his troublesome neighbours from the Autotower, who took a liking to turn his yard into a scrap-heap for things they don't need anymore. He says that, even though he profited from it in the past, recieving a lot of good weapon-grade metal virtually from the sky, it is not so anymore. Weird, highly flammable, objects are being thrown dangerously close to his coal storage, freakish monsters are being unleashed upon the heads of his poor apprentices - who are already scared to death - and massive boulders of unknown substance land regulary in the vicinity, frightening off the customers and threating to damage the walls - all this makes the smith wonder in fear of what will happen next. Presently, he is concerned with a giant creature of the size of a house which has crashed in his yard. Made entirely of metal, the thing is not dead yet and prevents the inhabitants of the forge to go on with their business. Last time it was approached, the monster issued a ray of fire from its eye, severely wounding Erik, one of the smith's pupils. Nikolai thinks it has something to do with Dwemeri magic, because the creature seems to be made of the same metal as his lavaforge (constructed with Dwemeri alloys by one of his ancestors). He asks you to kill the monster somehow and remove it from the yard. (The player will learn later that the source of smith's troubles is not in Autotower actually.)

Solution

Upon approaching the robot, a player is presented with several options for how to deal with it. They will need to utter several correct voice commands to deactivate it, including the robot's manufacturing number (look for the clue in the vicinity). Incorrect answers will make it hurt the player. After successfully disabling the monster, the player has to look for a tool to break it apart (which is in the forge), and pass a strength and endurance check to remove it from the yard.

Reward

Various Dwemeri parts, ingots, modest sum of gold.

2. Trouble in the family

Osmund, the smith's ancient grandfather, was never entirely sane. Recently though he has gone completely mad. He doesn't appear to eat anything, claims that he is actually from another place and time and tells strange and disturbing things. The doctors were unable to help, and the only meaningful phrases the smith got from them were: "strange personality disorder" and "nothing could be done, he has retreated into some illusionary world". The smith doesn't loose hope, however (for he loves his relative) and implores you to help him. But he won't give a player this task unless they have some decent score in presonality and intelligence (fortify attribute potions can help).

Solution

Upon meeting with the player, Osmund will behave as if he lives in our time, plays Morrowind and loves mods (E.g.: "Your head is unfamiliar... Do you use Better Heads? Or is it one of the Westly's?"). The player will need to perform three psychotherapy sessions to convince him that he is actually Osmund, and lives a different life.

Reward

The smith will give a pitiful amount of money, but Osmund will present the player with his rare books (He doesn't need them anymore, because his vision has been impared with age.)

3. Looking for ore

The forge is experiencing supply problems. Nikolai's contact in Vvardenfell stopped responding to his letters, and the monthly shipments of ore for the forge have ceased. He suspects that his competitors in the town, which played unfairly before, are to blame. They managed to bind merchants visiting Modtown with contracts, which leaves Nikolai without any hope of persuading them to sell their ore to him. He knows of another way of procuring material, but it is very dangerous.
For many generations his family kept a certain Dwemeri device, which they used to teleport to one abandoned ruin of that race to get the metal it holds. In time of Osmund's youth, however, the ruin became infested with Dwemeri machines, which appeared seemingly out of nowhere, so nobody dared to travel there anymore. Only this dire situation compells the smith to think of it at all.

Solution

Clear the dungeon.

Reward

Everything the player can find in the ruin, but nothing more (the smith claims that he doesn't have any money left).

4. Master metalsmith

Despite all his skill, the smith managed to hurt his working hand. The accident happened in the most inappropriate of times: the forge has an order to make a suit of armor from one of the best customers, and the deadline draws very near. If a player has sufficient score in Armorer skill, Nikolai will ask them for help. The task is to make full suit of ebony armor, ebony sword and shield with the limited amount of resources.

Solution

Use smithing tools and implements (smelter, forge, grinder, anvil, water barrells, workbench, etc.) in correct order to craft the armor and a sword. Only two tries are allowed, after which the quest is failed.

Reward

Either the smith permits the player to make a suit of ebony armor for themselves, or the player is presented with some unique armor.

5. Terror from the deep.

Nikolai confesses that, using the book he inherited from his father, he made a pact with an evil daedra. In return for immortality, he swore that he will do whatever the monster wishes, every year. He soon realised what a terrible mistake he made, because the appetite of the being was seemingly insatiable, and he also discovered that it took pleasure in torturing him. He said that he was forced to do unspeakable things and waste all of his family's wealth to keep his end of the bargain. The last time the monster took the cellar and the underground passages below the forge for itself to live in, and Nikolai feares that next time it will take the forge itself, and everything within. He asks the player to go down and slay the daedra, but pleads them to be careful and not break anything.

Solution

Go down to the passages below the forge, kill the monster and all its minions.

6. I think I'll claim one of the Consortium faction quests and tie it to the forge.

7. A secret quest

I won't spoil this one!

I advise you against killing the smith, it will be impractical. It will also be impolite to try to kill my avatar.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:15:17 PM by wretched fetcher »

Flash3113

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
It's shaping up very nicely. That's quite the storyline you have there.

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Much appreciated!

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »
All right, I've made enough progress to post some screenshots. I've put them in attachment (sorry, don't want to clutter the thread).

I would estimate my progress as follows:

Exterior - 90%
Interior - 30%
Quests, dialogues and documents - 10%
Scripts - 0%

The interior matches exterior, and is subdivided like this:

Apprentices' wing --- Warehouse corridor --- Warehouse --- Osmund's tower
                                                                                                          |
                                                                                                          |
                                                                                               The smith's quaters
                                                                                                          /
                                                                                                        /
                                                                                         The shop

Wretched Fetcher

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
Some more screens.