Author Topic: [Exterior Claim] ModTown Island Landmass  (Read 7633 times)

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
[Exterior Claim] ModTown Island Landmass
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:31:07 PM »
I've finished the first draft of ModTown 2015 Island. I really haven't done much with the town itself yet. I want other people to give that their own touch (mostly modder houses of course...). Please note that although I have fully placed rocks and flora, that does not mean it can't be moved or removed to make way for a modder home.

[SHOWCASE ALBUM]

Fetaures so far:

1. ModTown (incomplete)
2. Faction Island (no structure yet)
3. ModTown Beach
4a. Daedric Tower
4b. Adjoining cave entrance
5. Pycave entrance for Fulgore
6. Entrance to DEG's Small Cave claim
7. Island Shrine
8. Goblin Settlement
9. Giant Goatherd

I know there has been talk of other dungeons and such. I don't have entrances yet, but those can easily be added. Either by the modders who make them or by me. I believe that Dark has done some testing on the best methods for merging exterior claims.

Looking for feedback. Good or ill.

-MD

!!!!! DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated December 29th) !!!!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:42:35 AM by Darkelfguy »

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: [Exterior Claim] ModTown Island Landmass
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
I am considering posting a couple teaser screenshots on the official forums. What do you guys think? I think we're getting pretty close to the point to be able to open this up to anyone interested in participating. Just a little more city planning to do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:07:05 PM by Melchior Dahrk »

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:54:46 AM »
I think it looks stunning.  Having just listened to some of the recent modders' podcast with you and the other big names, I know that you appreciate constructive criticism... but I have very little for you!  Seriously, looking at the screenshots, the only suggestions I have to make the landmass better is adding a bit more rocks/foliage in some of the grassier regions like in screenshot 5, and (if possible) making the dividing lines between terrains (as seen in screenshot 10) less distinct.  Even those are me being super nit-picky and looking for things to suggest.  Really, the whole thing is great!

I especially liked the goblin settlement, the Daedric tower, and the Molag Amur/Ashlandish regions (that's like half the entire landmass, right?)!

Istreddify

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:04:14 AM »
These look great - and the temple exterior you made reminds me how bad I am when working with exteriors (I tried to come up with something interesting, but I couldn't find an idea that would work - or wouldn't look terrible (or be completely and utterly bland)).  Speaking of that, could you fit a smallish park/garden area around the place? Would be great for those who worship more nature-orientated deities.

I am considering posting a couple teaser screenshots on the official forums. What do you guys think? I think we're getting pretty close to the point to be able to open this up to anyone interested in participating. Just a little more city planning to do.
A few of these (described as "a project that will soon be revealed") should definately spark some interest, so I'm all for it.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »
I think it looks stunning.  Having just listened to some of the recent modders' podcast with you and the other big names, I know that you appreciate constructive criticism... but I have very little for you!  Seriously, looking at the screenshots, the only suggestions I have to make the landmass better is adding a bit more rocks/foliage in some of the grassier regions like in screenshot 5, and (if possible) making the dividing lines between terrains (as seen in screenshot 10) less distinct.  Even those are me being super nit-picky and looking for things to suggest.  Really, the whole thing is great!

I especially liked the goblin settlement, the Daedric tower, and the Molag Amur/Ashlandish regions (that's like half the entire landmass, right?)!
Yeah, I thought about the additional detail in the meadow/grazelands areas. What it really needs is some MGE-rendered grass... more rocks would detract from the theme, I feel. I wasn't sure how we all felt about generating some grass. I would be all for it, I suppose. Then we would just tell people that MGE is required to use that ESP.

I struggled with the transition between the ashlands and grassy areas especially. I mean... how do you transition from ash to grass? The vanilla game just uses rocks which wouldn't work well here. What I am considering is using one of the Grazelands grass textures as a border for the ashlands since they are yellower.
Yeah, the volcano and ashlands take up a good portion of the northern region. See this overview.

Thanks for the comments!

These look great - and the temple exterior you made reminds me how bad I am when working with exteriors (I tried to come up with something interesting, but I couldn't find an idea that would work - or wouldn't look terrible (or be completely and utterly bland)).  Speaking of that, could you fit a smallish park/garden area around the place? Would be great for those who worship more nature-orientated deities.
Lol, well I wasn't sure if you were going to make one so I just pieced something together as a placeholder, just in case. I have also sketched out the streets based on the marked up screenshot you posted. But that's about as far as I plan to go with the city proper. I really don't have a vision for it. So I'm hoping someone else has some thoughts. Oh, and I was thinking about other pantheons and there're the Redguards and their Tall Papa, walkaround and all that. But I don't know how we'd really portray that here. Or if it really makes sense to do so since it has yet to make it into a game, I believe... unless ESO has something.

A few of these (described as "a project that will soon be revealed") should definately spark some interest, so I'm all for it.
That wording is perfect. I'm probably going to get some flak for working on something other than Lyithdonea or OAAB, lol. Oh well, this is a worthy cause! And my primary contribution is now 98% complete.

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:35:54 AM »
Yeah, I thought about the additional detail in the meadow/grazelands areas. What it really needs is some MGE-rendered grass... more rocks would detract from the theme, I feel. I wasn't sure how we all felt about generating some grass. I would be all for it, I suppose. Then we would just tell people that MGE is required to use that ESP.

As in, making a separate .esp which as MGE grass functionality?  That sounds pretty cool.

I struggled with the transition between the ashlands and grassy areas especially. I mean... how do you transition from ash to grass? The vanilla game just uses rocks which wouldn't work well here. What I am considering is using one of the Grazelands grass textures as a border for the ashlands since they are yellower.

That sounds like a good idea.  Just in case that doesn't work, I guess you could try re-colouring the existing textures to make them more similar to one another?  It wouldn't make anything seamless, but it might make the difference less striking.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »
As in, making a separate .esp which as MGE grass functionality?  That sounds pretty cool.
Yes, exactly.

That sounds like a good idea.  Just in case that doesn't work, I guess you could try re-colouring the existing textures to make them more similar to one another?  It wouldn't make anything seamless, but it might make the difference less striking.
Yeah, I'll see what I can do. Might be able to do some better blending with vertex shading too.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »
FYI. I have NO problem with someone else tinkering around with the landmass. I know that it looks pretty vanilla right now (on account of whipping this thing up in 3-4 days...). Maybe you wanted to see a tranquil valley, huge rock spire, cascading cataracts? Just make sure you upload the update here so that if I work on more updates we don't overwrite one another.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
Updated the landmass file. Changelog:

• Plotted city
  • Added region to island
  • Added "Upper Town" area
  • Created interior for one "Highstreet" residence
  • Added fort
  • Added Dippy Dorugg's Deep Dive

Istreddify

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
If my CS is to be trusted, the ModTown 2015_MD_2015-07-05.001.rar file has a bad case of GMST contamination.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
If my CS is to be trusted, the ModTown 2015_MD_2015-07-05.001.rar file has a bad case of GMST contamination.

Aye, it does, but it is kind of a work-in-progress file, plus all of the claim .esp files shouldn't have any dependencies on the landmass file, so I don't think it'll be an issue as far as claims go.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
Eh, still embarrassing. Oh well. Cleaning sometimes slips my mind... I need to make some dungeon exteriors anyway, so I'll try and get an update out. But I'd like to start messing around with my claim too.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
Updated the landmass file. Changelog:

• Cleaned plugin
  • Added dungeon entrance for DEG's Zalonbael
  • Fixed arrow slits on fort

DOWNLOAD BELOW \/\/\/

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »
Probably best to wait for Melchior to fix that in the ESM itself, since he'll probably be going through and fixing a lot of minor issues and adding in new dungeon locations in the future.

Of course, I don't think there would be a problem if you fixed it yourself, since all modder plots get merged in eventually, I doubt it'd cause an issue.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
Yeah, feel free to fix it yourself, I'll probably just have to fix it again in the main file as landscape changes don't merge in well. I'll try and take care of some of the worse seams myself.