Author Topic: [Modder Claim] (No Plot) - HybridDisorder  (Read 4150 times)

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
Re: [Modder Claim] (No Plot) - HybridDisorder
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »
Quick update:

Things are still progressing, albeit slowly. I just moved and my semester just stared at the same time, so the amount of free time I have is small. I have the statics at about 98-99% finished, I'm just adding polish and such. After the statics are finally done I'm going to move on to mob placement, then after that loot stuff.

When is the deadline for this?

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
Great to hear you're still working on this, the deadline is round about December for this so you have plenty of time!
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Great to hear you're still working on this, the deadline is round about December for this so you have plenty of time!

Oh good! BTW I just watched your youtube modtown update, everything is looking really nice.

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
Hello,

Things are still progressing. I would say I'm 90% completed with the project. Statics are all done; the remaining 10% is polish, loot, and enemies. It seems like every time I do a run through I find another small thing to fix or add.

I've been thinking about adding one more smallish area but it depends on how the rest of the dungeon pans out.

I want to add modders resources for some custom weapons and a custom boss. Is there a specific folder I should be putting meshes, icons, and textures in? Some sort of Modtown specific subfolder? Or can I put them anywhere?

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
For now, just package everything into a folder marked something along the lines of "HD_MT2015", to separate it from what others are going to add to the data files when the whole thing is done.

What kind of file size we talking here for your resources?
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »
All of the resources together are 6.97 MB. They are all modders resources I found on MW Modding history. Should I post the sources here or include them in a text file with the final version?

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
Safest bet is probably to do both.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
Aye, I'd recommend both as well, it'll help us keep track of all the files. Any great to hear you're making good progress on this! :)
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
Really impressed with how this claim looked in the recent video. Anyone can pick a giant cave piece, set some statics in it, and leave me thoroughly underwhelmed, but not everyone can deliver such a pleasant sight at such a scale. Very well done.

The flora-filled cavern felt like some piece of a rainforest fell into a crevice and spared from being mowed down by giant Dwemer siege machines or something, which is really cool.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 01:45:39 AM »
I agree with Autoclock. I'd only want to echo what Darkelfguy alluded to in the video which is: give thought to mobility within your claim - at least for areas where everyone should be able to reach.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »
True, though I think sometimes we forget that Levitation is a thing, and there's only so much you can do to prevent it from making things too easy, especially when it would be great to flat-out require it, which I'm a fan of, because for unconventional level design, the player's ability to traverse the area is a pain in the ass, unless you embrace one of my rules: You can fly in this game, so DO IT!

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
Back again! Life is busy, but I've done too much already to not make this as cool as I can.

I'm getting together the complete modders resource list, just coordinating a few things with my brother about some more waterfalls. He's better at that bit than I am :D Plus I decided that what was going to be the final boss is actually a mini boss and I've added two additional rooms that are pretty bare bones right now.

Thank you guys for the kind words! I'm really trying to make this dungeon very detailed and put lots of little treasure caches.

As far as levitation goes, I'm designing the dungeon with that in mind but the primary path is a foot path. A character can complete the dungeon with or without levitation, though if they choose to levitate they might spoil some of the cool location reveals I'm trying to have. Anyone ever play Dark Souls? You know how the levels will often loop back and show you where you were in a scenic manner, or you'll get a small glimpse of where you'll end up later? That's what I'm trying to do with the foot path. I'm also "gating" the progression as much as I can unless certain keys are found, but this being MW of course you could use an unlock spell then dispel yourself of the curse from the door.

If you can levitate you might be able to find a few extra hidden treasures but for the most part everything is reachable on foot. There is one small exception to this design idea, but the player should pick up an item they need to get to the area on the foot path if they can't levitate.

I had a question about something in the CS. So I've accidentally clicked on one of the Tel Fyr interior cells names before, didn't modify anything, but now it has a * next to the cell name like my modded cells do. I think I accidentally did the same thing with the exterior cell containing Vivec's Palace. Is this an issue? If so can I fix it?

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 12:23:58 PM »
Keep in mind that you can disable levitation if it really breaks your area. I think it should be used sparingly since Morrowind is all about freedom. But, for instance, I had to use it in Dippy Dorugg's to avoid cheating (you can look at the script on the red activator under the black in_lava_blacksquare meshes there).

ALSO note that you can make locks that cannot be picked if that would really mess with your claim. There are several ways that you could accomplish that - there's a desk in the Fort Frostmoth Imperial Shrine area which was the first time I encountered a script like that.

To answer your question: yes, it is an issue as it will make the mod "dirty". Which means that if a mod that ACTUALLY makes legitimate modifications to those cells is loaded before your mod, then your illegitimate changes will overwrite the real mod. There are a number of ways to fix this. My personal favorite if I know I accidentally made a dirty edit is to load it up in TESAME and remove those changes manually. As a best practice, you should clean all of your ESPs with tes3cmd before uploading them anywhere.

I hope that helps. Fire away if you have any other questions though.

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:11 PM »
Thank you Melchior for the advice. I will make sure there are no dirty edits by the time I send it in for submission.  Is that what "dirty gmst's" are? I've been modding MW for... At least ten years? I guess I've never thought about it beyond cleaning a few mods in my mod packs with TESTool.

I might have to do the script for making locks unpickable for one door... Maybe two max. As far as levitation goes it's good to know it can be disabled in the area. I will consider the potential pros and cons of doing such a thing.  I think as long as I can make those two doors unpickable than levitaion wouldn't really break the dungeon, it'd just shorten it significantly. It's not very long currently and I'm trying to lengthen it a little bit (added another mini boss, new main boss, two new rooms). I think instead of worrying about length I should focus on quality though. I'd rather the player have a memorable and impressive, yet a little short experience than a long drawn out boring one.  If I end up having enough time I think to pad for content I will add some optional bosses in optional rooms. I'm using the static of the heart chamber for my main caves (along with about a billion giant boulders to make it look different) so there is plenty of space to add more rooms and such.

By the way, I just wanted to say it's an honor to be involved with this project and getting any sort of recognition. I knew many of the people involved in Modtown by their work for years and I'm very excited about this whole thing. Before this I've never built much more than small houses so even though my dungeon is short it's a huge leap in scale for me. Fortunately I have the help of my brother (also only ever built small houses) who is much more of an aesthetics person than I am. It's incredible (though no surprise) that this game has managed to keep such a passionate community for so long and I'm happy to finally contribute.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:01:50 PM by HybridDisorder »

HybridDisorder

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »
Attached is the last sneak preview image of the project I'm going to release. This is a new area that hasn't been shown in any picture or video but I want to keep anything else a surprise. However note that I shrank the screenshot so I could attach it to this post, so it doesn't nearly as potato like in game.

Status report:

Statics 95-99%
Lighting 80%
Story 100%
Dialogue/story implementation 0%
Random details ?%
Hidden loot ?%
Hidden rooms ?%

I've decided to allow levitation, however a certain item that is along the main path will be the only way you can get through any of many different doors in the dungeon, including hidden ones. Effectively you'll be locked out of certain areas until you at least go get this item. That way people are free to fly around (and will probably be rewarded for their behavior) but I can control to some degree the order in which players can progress.