Author Topic: NifSkope Tutorial - Survey  (Read 4125 times)

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
NifSkope Tutorial - Survey
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:42:04 PM »
I plan on putting together a pic-and-text tutorial on building things in NifSkope, but before I do, I need to know what people would most like to learn how to make, and what kind of experience they already have, so as to maximize its potential helpfulness.

For example, I could show everyone how I made the bone spider in my avatar.
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

Flash3113

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
Re: NifSkope Tutorial - Survey
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
Yes! I've been looking for ages for a tutorial to describe in detail how to rig a creature to a preexisting skeleton.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
Okay. I can get started tonight, so long as nothing pressing comes up.

Kyromods

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:39:21 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this. I know nothing about animations. The only real experience I have is changing textures, and I'm not sure I did that right. One time I managed to combine two of the thatch houses and make a neat schoolhouse nif.

Phobos_Jugular

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
I think a tutorial using text and illustrative screen shots would be a tremendous benefit to this 'budding' modder. I would love to be able to modify some of the texture wraps on the architectural nifs so I could 'paint' my walls with text and graphics similar to what the Mayan/Egyptians/Assyrians did with their tombs and temples. Right now I have to use the fresco nifs or piece a mural together using the art wrapped on rugs and banners which can be a real pain to get them to hang properly.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
I think a tutorial using text and illustrative screen shots would be a tremendous benefit to this 'budding' modder. I would love to be able to modify some of the texture wraps on the architectural nifs so I could 'paint' my walls with text and graphics similar to what the Mayan/Egyptians/Assyrians did with their tombs and temples. Right now I have to use the fresco nifs or piece a mural together using the art wrapped on rugs and banners which can be a real pain to get them to hang properly.

That involves UV mapping. I'll have to cover that in Vol. 2.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:23:20 PM »
Okay, this tutorial is not quite finished, but I do want people to give it a trial run, because, after so much time spent making stuff like my bone monsters, things become so second nature to me that I forget some details. So, please let me know what questions you have, and I'll make sure to cover the answers when I finalize my tutorial.

Happy modding.

Spirithawke

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:14 PM »
You have made a good start with this tutorial so far.  As you know, you have just barely scratched the surface of the things that can be done with NifSkope. I hope you continue this.

I would like to note that there is a fairly decent non picture tutorial out there, although it is slanted towards Oblivion, most of the information applies to Morrowind as well.

Searching through my hard drive I have discovered I seem to have a picture based tutorial as well. Not sure where I picked it up.  Likely the NifTools site I expect. Trey Leavens' NifSkope Guide.  Perhaps give this a look and then expand on things that this one does not touch upon...

Just some ideas.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:59 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Mostly what I want to do is focus on helping people around here be more successful in the NifSkope endeavors they're currently interested in, which may or may not mean plumbing the depths of what the program can do. In other words, we'll see what people need, and I'll try to help them get that info in a manner they can best understand. Especially if I have experience in the matter already.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:44 PM »
What I'd like to see a tutorial for is retexturing meshes. I thought I had figured it out, but it doesn't seem to be working. Also, new file paths for the textures would be helpful, so I can put them in subfolders and not leave them loose in the textures folder.
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

Spirithawke

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
I will note that in many case re-texturing meshes also involves re-doing the UV mapping of the mesh for the new textures.  While this can be done in NifSkope, it seemed very difficult to me to do, but, was MUCH simpler to accomplish in Blender.  At least, that was my experiences with UV mapping in NifSkope.  Occasionally you get lucky and the old UV maps function just fine with the new textures.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
I took the original textures and recolored them, which works fine until I try renaming it and putting it in a new folder. That is when I can't seem to get my textures to work.

Danjb

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:03 AM »
I would love to see a detailed NifSkope tutorial.

I recently had to remove the collision from a mesh. Thankfully I found a guide for that, but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

Spirithawke

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
I took the original textures and recolored them, which works fine until I try renaming it and putting it in a new folder. That is when I can't seem to get my textures to work.

In that case you have to edit the path and name of the texture in the NIF.  Then they would work.

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
But that is exactly what I was doing, I open it up in nifscope, go to NiSourceTexture, find its new location, change to the new texture, save. Test it in my mod making install, seems to work perfectly. Take the mod to another install, just to double check everything, and the textures don't show up. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.