Author Topic: Morrowind Mod Recommendations for MMS - Official Thread  (Read 2370 times)

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
Morrowind Mod Recommendations for MMS - Official Thread
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »
Greetings! As many of you know, our central show on YouTube is Morrowind Modding Showcases, and the premise of MMS is to showcase 13 different mods in each episode, with themed episodes airing every other week and random themed episodes in-between. One of the major issues though with getting an episode of Morrowind Modding Showcases ready is a lack of mod recommendations. This adds a lot of additional time to video production, as I typically have to go out and find 13 mods to showcase, a particularly difficult task when we need 13 mods to match a specific theme. For every 13 mods you see on MMS, another 8~12 mods had to be played, checked, and ultimately rejected.

Mods get rejected for a lot of reasons, but the most common are 1) Missing Meshes or Textures, 2) They break the game, 3) They have waaaay too much dirt under the hood (some dirt is acceptable because people should know how to clean mods, but 1278 GMSTs? That's way too much), 4) They're low quality or below average quality mods (that sounds harsh, but a lot of mods out there just aren't good), 5) They delete core Morrowind dialogue topics (this is actually surprisingly common in mods, and needless to say also very bad), 6) They're incompatible with Morrowind's Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions (again, happens more often than you think), and 7) They have major scripting bugs that prevent the mod from being fully played.

Now we'll actually accept mods with a small number of bugs, GMSTs, or dirty references, because we have tutorials that explain how to fix most of these issues, but needless to say there's a lot of mods that don't even match up to this relatively low barrier. And the reason why we won't accept a lot of low-quality mods is because a lot of new Morrowind players look to Morrowind Modding Showcases to find mods, and I want to make sure that we don't inadvertently cause their savegames to get corrupted or their game to become unplayable. We want them to have a good experience playing Morrowind with mods, so that they'll come back and try more mods and maybe get involved with making their own mods some day!

Needless to say, checking for mod quality adds a huge amount of time to video production, so what I'd like is for you guys to recommend mods (with download links), along with a category they fit in (remember, we have 13 categories) and a potential theme (or themes) they could match for a future episode. This will vastly speed up video production and help get episodes of MMS out there faster!

If you're not sure if we've already cover a mod or not, please check Abot's Morrowind Mod List and type in the mod name in the search bar. Abot's Morrowind Mod List keeps track of all mods that have ever been featured by MMS, or the original Mod Showcase show for Morrowind from way back in 2012.

Here's an example of some mod recommendations in an easy (for me) to read format:

Solstheim Zelda Estate By Princess Stomper - Houses/Popular - Solstheim Theme
Temperature By Zappara - Gameplay/Blast/Bonus - Immersion Theme
Martistan Castle By Ed_Conn - Dungeon/Blast/Landmass - Castle/Undead Theme
Dragon's Lair by Lady Rae - Items/NPCs (New Race) - Solstheim Theme/Random Theme

Just follow that format when recommending mods and that'll make my life a lot easier for finding mods to showcase! :)

Also, keep in mind that the following mods are getting independent showcase episodes:
Tamriel Rebuilt
Keening
Wizards Islands
Vibrant Morrowind
Arktwend

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any mod recommendations you guys might have!
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
Re: Morrowind Mod Recommendations for MMS - Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
If it would help, I'd be willing to take a look at some of the mods that don't qualify and see if permission to fix/finish them can be obtained.
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

Kyromods

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
Looking through the previous episodes, you've already done all my goto mods. That being said, here's a few more ideas.

A Grand Abode - By Mike L. - Houses (I use to use this mod in every play through. It's a little unbalanced.)
Always Hit Morrowind - By Shade The Bandit - Gameplay (I don't play without some sort of combat mod)
Living Cities of Vvardenfell - By Helios & Wyre - Gameplay (Great mod. I'm surprised it hasn't made it to the list yet.)

When I think of more I'll be sure to share.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:14:38 PM by Kyromods »

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, Kyro! I actually haven't seen Always Hit Morrowind before, it seems to be a bit more advanced than the typical combat cheat mod so I'll definitely be checking it out.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
Looking through the previous episodes, you've already done all my goto mods. That being said, here's a few more ideas.

A Grand Abode - By Mike L. - Houses (I use to use this mod in every play through. It's a little unbalanced.)
Always Hit Morrowind - By Shade The Bandit - Gameplay (I don't play without some sort of combat mod)
Living Cities of Vvardenfell - By Helios & Wyre - Gameplay (Great mod. I'm surprised it hasn't made it to the list yet.)

When I think of more I'll be sure to share.

So I just checked out A Grand Abode version 3, and noticed it seems to be missing a ton of models for a suit of armor. I tried the Way Back Machine, but all I could find was the textures for the armor pieces and not the armor itself. The first version that you linked to doesn't have this problem (since it doesn't include a new set of armor), but it just seems like a shame, since version 3 has a pretty well made and sizable dungeon included.

Do you know where I could find the missing models? The armor set was called Diamo (probably short for diamond).

Kyromods

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:42:41 AM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20080118035450/http://www.deepgfx.com/games_Morrowind.htm

I don't think he ever got around to finishing them. It's a shame though, I'd never heard of that version before and it sounds pretty cool. :-\

Spirithawke

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
From what I could tell many months ago when I looked at that wayback page, he was converting glass armor to use those new textures in the file linked below the v3.2 update.  I meant to look more deeply into this back then, but then real life decided to BADLY distract me.  I will note that those textures ARE downloadable from the wayback machine. I have them.

Danjb

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:53:31 AM »
Here are a handful of mods I like:
  • Morrowind Toy Shoppe
  • Dwemer Playtime Counter
  • Spell Target Speed Mod
  • Birthsigns Are More Fun
  • ManaUser's MiniMods: Show Arrow Damage
  • ManaUser's MiniMods: Hide the Skooma
  • The Uber Crystal Egg Hunt (+ icons)
  • Linora's Levelling Mod

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »
Here are a handful of mods I like:
  • Morrowind Toy Shoppe
  • Dwemer Playtime Counter
  • Spell Target Speed Mod
  • Birthsigns Are More Fun
  • ManaUser's MiniMods: Show Arrow Damage
  • ManaUser's MiniMods: Hide the Skooma
  • The Uber Crystal Egg Hunt (+ icons)
  • Linora's Levelling Mod

Thanks for the recommendations, Danjb! I'll be sure to look those up and try and match them to a theme! :)

LadyPhoenixFireRose

• Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:47:59 AM »
What about Antares' Big Mod  by Arcimaestro Antares, for popular mod of the week, or gameplay mod, or blast from the past. I think this is the link to the latest version of it.
"If Death doesn't kill you, then nothing will."
"Fate can only do so much for a person, the rest is up to them."

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
What about Antares' Big Mod  by Arcimaestro Antares, for popular mod of the week, or gameplay mod, or blast from the past. I think this is the link to the latest version of it.
Aye, I've been meaning to showcase that one, but it is, as the name implies, and awfully big mod. I've had trouble getting enough of it showcased in time for an episode. Realistically it might take a week or two to finish filming all of the different features it has, but we'll definitely get around to it eventually.

MattTheBagel

• Community Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
I just saw this one on the Nexus, and it looks promising.

"More Life to Morrowind Animations (beta)".

Theres a youtube video attatched, and the animations look solid, although, it is just a beta.
"I could kill that guar. Those boots are ruined."

My Instagram; https://www.instagram.com/elder_scrolls_page/