Author Topic: ModTown 2015 - Town Planning  (Read 6595 times)

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
Re: ModTown 2015 - Town Planning
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
I see people using the illusion orb a lot, but not the conjuration orb. That looks great! With a nice rotation script, I think that would look just right. And it's appropriately generic that you could just call it a Shrine of Oblivion or whatever. Could potentially still have the Daedric statues somewhere in the room like you identify the Nine Divines with the tapestries in the other.

Istreddify

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kav7o7i0fswarcw/modtown_temple_wip.esp?dl=0 - version 0.2

That looks great! With a nice rotation script, I think that would look just right.
One was the first thing I added ;)

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
Looking really good! Here's some screens for anyone who is too lazy to download and check it out for themselves. :) The interior was a bit bright so that the lights you put in there didn't have a very dynamic effect. And the planters were placed too low so that the floor bled through the dirt. But you made really good use of the space in that central area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/01.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/02.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/03.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/04.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/05.png - Also... is that - uh - Molag Bal doing the Starbucks' mermaid pose?

HangHimHigher

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
The communal worship place looks great!  It also makes me think... there has never been a bigger bloodbath waiting to happen than having the Imperial Cult, the Temple and a Daedric shrine in the one space!  Maybe when we're doing the dialogue for NPCs there we could have them reference some sort of truce/mutual understanding?

As for suggestions for buildings, not sure if this is subsumed by any of the others so far, but maybe a central agora-like town gathering area where the people gather for occaisional meetings, and where all the important discussions are had?  It could set the stage for some of the more dramatic moments in the faction questline as well.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 12:54:32 AM »
Looks great Istreddify!

As for other public buildings, something I just though of, why not a newspaper? A newspaper office could release pamphlets that cover the goings-on in ModTown, follow the progress of the Community Consortium, and they could be written by multiple modders, perhaps adding in satirical aspects or poking fun. Just an idea of course, we've got a lot of writing to do with the faction quest line as it is.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Istreddify

• Modder Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:33 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42876609/ModTown/Screens%2002/05.png - Also... is that - uh - Molag Bal doing the Starbucks' mermaid pose?
That is, in fact, a tapestry of Mephala. I take it you didn't visit her/his shrine in the Morag Tong headquarters too often ;P

As for other public buildings, something I just though of, why not a newspaper? A newspaper office could release pamphlets that cover the goings-on in ModTown, follow the progress of the Community Consortium, and they could be written by multiple modders, perhaps adding in satirical aspects or poking fun. Just an idea of course, we've got a lot of writing to do with the faction quest line as it is.
A variant of Oblivion's Black Horse Courier? Could be fun.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
That is, in fact, a tapestry of Mephala. I take it you didn't visit her/his shrine in the Morag Tong headquarters too often ;P
Yeah, it's been a while. I just saw what I saw and didn't make the connection of what the appendage was coupling with... definitely Mephala. Anyway, don't want to stray too far into a NSFW discussion... lol.

A variant of Oblivion's Black Horse Courier? Could be fun.
Agreed. I'm on board for it. Newspapers are a great way to textually take a fourth person perspective on events. I've been planning on having a newspaper in Lyithdonea... but that's not exactly a high priority.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 02:06:50 AM »
Alright, we really need to focus on town planning, this is by far the highest priority. We can't announce the project until this is solidified.

Obviously we won't be able to include every public building proposed into the town while still leaving room for 15 claims, so we need to decide what needs to be included and what should be skipped. Once that's settled, Melchior can put in placeholder buildings where each public building goes and outline the plots. We really need the plots outlined before we can go public obviously, so we'll need to figure out exactly how we want the layout of the town to look.

I still need to play the current demo version of the island to get a proper sense of how much room we have for claims. Once I do, I'll try and make a town plan based off of Istreddify's earlier design.
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written, In writing what deserves to be read. - Pliny the Elder

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
Yeah, once I sketch out the plots (vertex shading) then we can create a map screenshot and people can claim "Claim #4" etc. Or request "Other" based on a larger map of the island. We could even potentially have conceptual prompts for some "Other" claims. Like if we think a cottage on the lake would look nice or if we want an air ship off the southern peninsula... for instance.

We can also make it clear that if they just want to design an interior that we can do the legwork of linking it to the exterior.

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 08:23:14 PM »
Alright, after spending a little bit of time exploring the island (seriously great job Melchior!), it looks like there's actually more space in town than I originally thought. I've gone ahead and sketched out some potential boundaries (done at an angle for scale).

To explain a bit, CC means Community Consortium questline, so part of the expansion. There seems to be enough room to add additional public buildings if we want, and enlarge the claims a bit as well, particularly on the west side of town where there's a ton of development space. Of course, my design uses a more close-quartered city premise, as you might have noticed from the screenshots in the first post of the Barracks and Merchant Hall buildings from my old landmass project, I have a tendency to try and stuff buildings into every conceivable niche that they can possibly fit in. We may end up wanting something a little more open-spaced, I don't know.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
The plots look good to me, Dark. And that wall doesn't have to stay, by the way. It was just me tinkering around.

I think a close-quartered design is warranted with our current size. Especially since I think there is a good possibility that we will get more than 15 modders wanting to contribute... we may end up even having to expand the city across to the other large peninsula and cut in on the giant's grazing grounds. :D

One thing I thought of was that I saw the Fine Clothier shop and immediately thought of Plangkye's Hilgya shop and that her stuff could be sold there. But then I thought that including mod content like that would defeat the purpose of encouraging people to go download other mods... and came to the conclusion that we should avoid that type of thing. Resources should really only be used if it makes something look or work better. Not just to let the player buy it if it's already available for purchase in another mod...

I haven't gone through to double check the screenshots, but aren't there two #9's?

Darkelfguy

• Administrator
  • Modder Emissary
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Oh aye, it is quite likely that we'll exceed the original 20 plots, especially since I was talking to Zaldiir (one of the Staff at Nexus Mods) about ModTown 2015, and he said he'd try and get DarkOne to post an announcement about it on the Morrowind Nexus front page, which would certainly boost visibility.

Definitely agree about the resource items issue, though I think we should leave that open a bit to the modder in question that designs each shop, since I know a lot of modders, like Crankgorilla, really like to delve into modders resources for shops. Perhaps we can limit it to modder resources that aren't already part of a major shop mod? There's plenty of item resource packages that were released individually without a shop component after all.

Anyway, if you're satisfied with the outlines, I guess the last thing to do is to set up the plots with fencing around them and then create one large overview map with a list of claims. I'll be getting started on the announcement video on my end, and I think we should be ready to announce by th end of next week.

And aye, there are two #9's, I miscounted originally. So in total with that design, there's 20 modder claims in-town, and I believe we planned for five modder claims out in the countryside to start out with?

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
Firs draft of city zoning is done. I'll do a couple things and upload the file when I get back this evening if I can.

Autoclock

• Modder Emissary
  • I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Koo-koo-kajoob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 12:50:47 PM »
Looks good to me. What does "CE" stand for?
Mod not for recognition, but for respect for the craft.

Danjb

• Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »
It looks awesome! This is really starting to come together.

I guess "CE" is Census and Excise.