Author Topic: [Main Quest] Community Consortium Faction Quest Line  (Read 2700 times)

Turelek

• Community Secretary
  • The one and only.
    • View Profile
Re: [Main Quest] Community Consortium Faction Quest Line
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
So the first beta (or alpha) version is done, both parts are finished. No quest entries yet, but I have included 4 detect key potions for about two minutes or longer each (since you will find your way around the maze using your map ... probably a lot). The detect key things will show you a very rough concept of the map to keep up the challenge which I hope is not too difficult. Worst case scenario, I make the maze not-invisible and throw in a few enemies here and there to spice it up instead. However it should be doable it is just patience that is another thing. If you run out of the four potions by the second part you can of course just spawn some more if you checked the ID of them in the console, or just "follow the stars." Their is no real exterior yet, and you will have to "tcl" under Seyda Neen at the moment to get to the door.
Modding since 2008. Happy to be a part of the Morrowind Modding Commune.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Okay. I will try to test it this evening. Will provide feedback once I have some.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
Okay. I tried it out. Pretty clever way to set up a puzzle. I just tested it with a maxed out character and was able to make it through the maze with and beat the puzzler without running out of potions or dying. Going to test it on a lower level char now.

Okay, with stats at 25 I was able to make it through the maze without running out of potions, BUT I couldn't jump over the chasms and got stuck. I TCLed out and continued on. The Puzzler kicked my butt at 25 level attributes and skills but I was able to beat him at 50 stats without much trouble and decent equipment.

A couple of comments: I think you will need a way for players to teleport out if they get frustrated. And you should remember to replenish the potions if the player does. Maybe rather than just being loose on the floor you could use some type of distributor which detects whether the player has any of the potions in their inventory at the time to prevent cheating. In addition, I don't remember if you did, but you should probably make those potions have 0 value.

Is this going to be a required puzzle?

Finally, I don't really understand the "follow the stars" hint. Are they supposed to represent something? They don't seem to represent wall junctions from what I could tell. If they do, maybe you could have something which shows which directions walls radiate from them.

Turelek

• Community Secretary
  • The one and only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
Ah, hm, following the stars doesn't work (guess I'll improve that). Will have to work on that. Potions are only on the floor because it's a beta/not-implemented yet so the quest-giver isn't in yet (who will give you more potions than four). I'll check on potion value I may or may not have edited it, I'll scale the Puzzler down a few levels I always imagined people having some high-level characters (which is what I sort of designed it for but I can imagine some people may have some sort of replay value). I will add an npc or a door somewhere which will offer you the chance to get out (perhaps if you follow the bread trail an npc will let you out). I thought about the chasms, I might have to move them a bit closer (and possibly) add a black space door in between each that will simply place you on the platform you were supposed to jump on. Those comments really helped. As for the replenishing potions, maybe I can add a few potion spawning-things around the maze. Yes, this maze is designed for the 2nd Community Consortium Quest and will be a required dungeon which is why I want to make this perfect. (I will be making/doing quests 2 and 5). Just need to get this interior finished so it can get merged some time later and I can work on the newest version of ModTown 2015 (actually is it possible to keep building this on an updated master?) Thanks Melchior.

Melchior Dahrk

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
Happy to help! You should be fine working on an older version.

I don't know that you need to scale him down. He seemed relatively well balanced IMO. I guess that's something we need to discuss though... what level of player should ModTown be designed for? I'd think something between Vvardenfell and Mournhold difficulty perhaps. Not Solstheim level difficulty. But maybe that's too much. I imagine that a lot of people will start a new character to explore the island. This isn't a question just for you, Turelek, I'm thinking it's something we all need to discuss. I specifically made it so that the challenges in my mod don't strictly REQUIRE the player to fight anything. Partly because I wasn't sure of what level to design for at the time.

Honestly, I think that the player needs a special item or spell which will teleport them out at any time. A "panic button".

For the chasms, if they're intended to be a challenge, rather than just testing player jumping distance, you could make smaller platforms that the player has to jump to. Something which tests finesse more than jumping distance - so they would be more randomly placed between the first and second areas.

An alternative to the potions, if you would like the player to always be able to see the keys would be to have an ability added to them while they're in the maze. That might not be what you'd like to do, but I thought it worth suggesting.

Turelek

• Community Secretary
  • The one and only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
Your comments regarding levelling have sparked up a discussion here: http://darkelfmodding.com/forum/index.php/topic,211.0.html

anyways, maybe I can give them an amulet of divine intervention or Almsivi intervention, I'm definitely not a pro with scripting but perhaps I can look at the kind of script Ravenloft uses for it's teleporting amulet or another mod which had "Nexus Focus Stones" that teleported you to a Mages Guild of your choice. Anyways, I will think about the ability thing (I've seen this in use for Archmaestro's re-done Tribunal) in the cell but I'm not sure how to put that in (maybe make an activator somewhere that adds it as an ability, and when leaving the maze the exit portal takes it off you).

Turelek

• Community Secretary
  • The one and only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
So, it's been updated. A few graphical effects. I changed the jumpy platforms to the smaller Telvanni circles and put some Daedric braziers on them. I also added some mist effects to the portal (and to the entrance to the tar). I also at the moment went with potion refills. Now, I'm a bit slow with scripting but the message box works and you get 5 potions, it's just remembering how to make it so it only does this once per activator (I put 16 around both parts, would hate for someone to just keep activating the same one and getting 5 potions each). Please tell me how this one works. :)

the SASS Man

• Community Assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »
That should be easy enough.  If you're using a script on the activator(s), just add a variable to the top of the script, like so:

short GiveOnce

And then in the part of the script that gives the PC the potions, put:

If ( GiveOnce == 0 ) ; variables always equal zero when first created
    Player->AddItem <your potions> 5
    set GiveOnce to 1 ; so that this routine only runs once
endif

That's it!

Now, if you're using an NPC, it's just slightly more complicated.  You need to add a script to the NPC (or modify the script, if your NPC already has one) to add that first line I gave you.  Nothing else is needed in the NPC script.  Then, in your dialog, set the conditional function "local"   set Less Than ("<"), and set the value to 1.
Then, in your dialog response, add "set GiveOnce to 1", and it will ensure that dialog response can only be hit one time for that NPC.

Hope this helps....

-- the SASS Man